Thursday, May 17, 2012

Baked Potato Soup


     The yummiest baked potato soup ever. :) I found this recipe when I was 15 - a hungry teenager longing for some baked potato soup. I have no idea where I found the recipe since it was 9 years ago. I thought I had lost it and have since done a lot of research online trying to find it again, but came back empty handed. Luckily my mom had saved my recipe and I just got it back last spring! Thank you Mom!

The Best Baked Potato Soup Ever
This recipe requires a LOT of stirring by the way...be prepared.

Ingredients:
(Note: The green onions, bacon & cheddar cheese say divided because you will set aside a portion to add as toppings to the finished soup before serving.)
  • 4 large baking potatoes
  • 2/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 6 cups milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 chopped green onions, divided
  • 12 slices of bacon, fried, crumbled, divided
  • 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
  • 8 ounces sour cream
Directions:
Wash potatoes and prick several times with a fork; bake at 400F for 1 hour or until done. Let cool.
Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, then scoop out pulp; set aside. Discard skins.
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons green onions, 1/2 cup bacon and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in sour cream. Add extra milk if soup is too thick.
Serve topped with remaining green onion, bacon and cheese (as pictured above).
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment