Friday, September 25, 2009

Single Pie Crust



Single Pie Crust


This recipe is for 1 single crust pie. I use this when I make an apple crumb pie or quiche. I also have a recipe for a Double-Crust pie. This is from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter or shortening
4-5 Tbs cold water

1. Stir together flour & salt. Cut in shortening until pieces are pea size.

2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; mix with a fork. Push moistened dough aside and repeat until the flour mixture is moistened. Form into a ball.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out from center to edges to form a 12" circle.

4. Transfer to pie plate. Trim edges to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of pie plate. Fold under and crimp the edges as you desire. Here's a picture of how I do it.


I normally like to pre-bake my bottom pie crust for just a little because I've had it not cook through before during the normal pie baking time and it's not very yummy. So I just cover the edges in foil, lightly prick the bottom with a fork and bake it for about 7-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment