Thursday, September 24, 2009

Quiche



Homemade quiche with broccoli - from our garden of course. :)

First make the pie crust.

Next, put it in the pie plate, cover the edges with aluminum foil (so they don't burn), prick the bottom lightly with a fork and bake it at 375F for 10 minutes or so.

After the crust is done baking, put 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese on the bottom of crust. I use whatever cheese is in my house. This time I used some cheddar & parmesan.

Whisk together 5 eggs (until no egg white streaks show) and 1 cup of milk or cream. Add 1/2 cup onion, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. I also added basil because I love basil and it adds a bit more flavor. You could also add chives or any other herb you wanted.

You can bake it like that or you can make some additions. You could add mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon, spinach, broccoli, shredded zucchini, etc....really any veggie you want to put in. I used broccoli since Derrick just brought me some from the garden. The total addition should be 1 1/2 cups.

Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes, a knife inserted in the center should come out clean.

Quick list of ingredients:
Pie crust
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (any kind you prefer)
5 eggs
1/2 cup onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp basil, chives, etc (optional)
1 1/2 cups of veggies or bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment